Beginners Luck with the Samford Valley Archers
After hearing that the Samford Valley Target Archers runs a variety of beginner courses and Come N Try sessions throughout the year, Bronwyn and Mandy from the Samford Community Bank decided to pick up a bow and arrow.
Over the past few years, archery has exploded thanks to the popularity of films and TV shows such as The Hunger Games and Game of Thrones. Now our very own Katniss (Hunger Games fame) Bronwyn and our very own Daenerys (Game of Thrones) Mandy will be flexing their muscles as they hit the targets at the Samford Valley Archery classes on Saturday.
Here are five (5) fun archery facts you may not have known?
- Five-time US Olympic archery champion Khatuna Lorig trained Jennifer Lawrence for the Hunger Games films. She’s not the only Hollywood star to be adept with a bow.
- Thelma & Louise star Geena Davis just missed out on making the US Olympic archery team in 2000, placing 24th out of 300!
- At various times in Britain’s history, monarchs have banned the likes of football, bowls and even golf, because men were playing these sports rather than practising archery in their spare time. In fact, during the reign of Henry VIII, every man in the country had to “Practice at the Butts” after church on Sundays to hone their archery skills.
- An archer can also be referred to as a toxophilite (although they rarely are!). The word comes from two Greek words that together mean ‘lover of the bow’.
- During the Middle Ages, a skilled long-bowman could release between 10-12 arrows per minute. That’s an arrow every five/six seconds!
About Samford Archery
Samford Valley Target Archers, formerly the Grange Company Of Target Archers, the club started in 1947 and is the oldest and largest target archery club in Queensland.
Samford Valley Target Archers are a family-friendly target archery club located in the Samford Parklands just north of Samford Village on the northwest outskirts of Brisbane. Our facilities offer target, indoor and clout archery plus field archery practice and we host club, state and national level events.